Authorities believe they have found five additional undetonated explosive devices in the Boston area, according to a Wall Street Journal report on Monday:
The devices—which are in addition to the two that exploded near the finish line of the marathon—were discovered over the course of a frantic inspection of suspicious packages, many of them abandoned as pedestrians, runners, and others scrambled away from crowded public streets. Each had been rendered inoperative or was in the process of being rendered inoperative, the officials said.
But the officials also sounded a note of caution, saying they are moving quickly and each device they believe is a bomb hasn’t been fully dissected or analyzed.
Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis could not confirm whether any additional devices were found, but he said that officials were still investigating.
“We are in the process of going through all of the abandoned property that was discarded at those places,” he told reporters at a Monday night press conference. “We’ve pretty much cleared the Boylston street area. There are no further devices that we’ve located at this point in time, but we are getting reports from various places about suspicious packages. That’s perfectly understandable in this situation. I’m not prepared to say that we are at ease at this point in time. We are still very actively pursuing every lead that we have.”
The Wall Street Journal is now reporting that officials doubt the devices found were indeed bombs.
Breaking: Officials found 5 more suspect devices, but late Monday said they now doubt the devices were bombs. on.wsj.com/15aYSxH
— Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) April 16, 2013