The latest business casualty for Donald Trump: his deal with the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA), which has moved its Grand Slam champion exhibition off of the presidential candidate’s course in Los Angeles.
Trump met with the PGA on Monday, agreeing to part ways for the tournament in October following his business-killing remarks calling Mexican immigrants “rapists” and killers, the Associated Press reported on Tuesday.
“I have great respect for the PGA of America and everything they stand for,” Trump responded in a statement.
Last week, Trump told the Golf Channel that he was counting on “tremendous support” from the association, “because they all know I’m right.”
The PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, USGA and PGA of America issued a statement shortly after.
“In response to Mr. Trump’s comments about the golf industry ‘knowing he is right’ in regards to his recent statements about Mexican immigrants, we feel compelled to clarify that those remarks do not reflect the views of our organizations,” it said.
“While the LPGA, PGA of America, PGA Tour and USGA do not usually comment on presidential politics, Mr. Trump’s comments are inconsistent with our strong commitment to an inclusive and welcoming environment in the game of golf.”
The PGA joins NBC Universal, Univision, Televisa, Serta, and NASCAR in slowly backing away from the ex-reality star turned presidential contender.