Santorum: Deportation Is A ‘Gift’ That Can Spark ‘Renaissance’ Back Home

Republican presidential candidate, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum speaks during the Fox Business Network Republican presidential debate at the North Charleston Coliseum, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016, in North Cha... Republican presidential candidate, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum speaks during the Fox Business Network Republican presidential debate at the North Charleston Coliseum, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016, in North Charleston, S.C. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton) MORE LESS
Start your day with TPM.
Sign up for the Morning Memo newsletter

Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) seemed to endorse mass deportation in Thursday’s GOP undercard debate, arguing that by sending “six million Mexicans, Hondurans, Guatemalans, back into their country” they could “start a renaissance in their country so they won’t be coming over here anymore.”

Santorum brought up illegal immigration after being asked about unemployment.

“We need to send people back, I mean send people back,” he said.

Santorum brought up being in Storm Lake, Iowa, where he said, “91 percent of the kids that go to elementary school are minority kids.”

“They said, ‘What are you going to do with all these people? They are families lived here for a long time.'” Santorum recounted. “I will give them a gift, being able to help the country they were born in. I will export America, the education they were able to see. They learned the English language. They learned about capitalism. They learned about democracy. You want to stop the flow of immigrants. Send six million Mexicans, Hondurans, Guatemalans, back into their country to start a renaissance in their country so they won’t be coming over here anymore.”

Latest Livewire

Notable Replies

  1. Santorum: I know this because my white ancestors longed to go back home but they couldnt. World, outside America is actually a very happy and desirable place. That’s why I want to be POTUS, so that I can bring that happiness to Amerika.

  2. Rick, you are out of your emeffing mind. You really are. You need help. Deportation is not a gift. It will spark no renaissances. It will spark starvation. See a doctor. I’m serious.

  3. Up is down, left is right, war is peace, black is white, santorum smells great and makes a terrible lube…

  4. And that Renaissance will mean Mexico and Central America will be so strong they will be able to steal all the jobs and even Trump won’t be able to stop them. Better keep those folks here.

  5. Avatar for wwss wwss says:

    I do realize what he was attempting to say, but the intelligence-challenged Frothy and Fecal Ricky did just say that 91% of the students are a minority … hmmm so the other 9% are a majority? I’d love to see his checkbook and how he balances it.

Continue the discussion at forums.talkingpointsmemo.com

15 more replies

Participants

Avatar for system1 Avatar for beccam Avatar for ajaykalra Avatar for mattinpa Avatar for radicalcentrist Avatar for leftflank Avatar for firstprime Avatar for wwss Avatar for mantan Avatar for sniffit Avatar for sonsofares Avatar for lastroth Avatar for mrf Avatar for darrtown Avatar for cincypix Avatar for pshah Avatar for occamsrazor2 Avatar for caltg

Continue Discussion
Masthead Masthead
Founder & Editor-in-Chief:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Associate Editor:
Editor at Large:
General Counsel:
Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Associate Publisher:
Front End Developer:
Senior Designer: