Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly took a stand against naming the soldier who opened fire at Fort Hood on Wednesday, but she didn’t have a problem dropping an ethnic description of the shooter.
Kelly opened her show on Wednesday night with an explanation of her show’s policy.
“Authorities are identifying the shooter. If you are interested you can get his name on other shows, like the one that preceded this one and online, but we have decided not to name these mass killers as a policy here on the ‘Kelly File,’” Kelly said.
She stuck to the policy later in the program, but casually offered a description of the suspect based on his name.
“The nationality of the shooter, it sounds Hispanic, Latino, but you can look up his name online,” Kelly said.
The suspected gunman, Spc. Ivan Lopez, had been stationed at Fort Hood since February. He had been receiving medication and treatment for depression and anxiety before he allegedly killed three and wounded 16 before killing himself at the Texas military base on Wednesday.
According to Politico, Sean Hannity didn’t refer to Lopez by name either, but the host didn’t provide an explanation at the start of his show like Kelly.