The soldier who opened fire Wednesday at Fort Hood, Texas was carrying a semiautomatic handgun that wasn’t registered with the military base, according to an Army official.
Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, the senior officer at Fort Hood, said in a press conference that the suspect had a .45- caliber Smith and Wesson semiautomatic pistol. The weapon had been purchased recently and was not registered on base, he said.
Milley also said concealed-carry of weapons was not allowed on base. House Homeland Security Chair Michael McCaul (R-TX) said hours after the shooting that had troops been allowed to concealed-carry on base, they would have been able to defend themselves.
The suspect killed three fellow service members and wounded 16 others before committing suicide. Milley said there was no indication that the mass shooting had ties to terrorism.
- Contributions allow us to hire more journalists
- Contributions allow us to provide free memberships to those who cannot afford them
- Contributions support independent, non-corporate journalism