Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) reportedly told The Washington Post on Wednesday that he had taken himself out of the running to be Donald Trump’s vice president.
“There are people far more suited for being a candidate for vice president and I think I’m far more suited for other types of things,” Corker reportedly told the Post’s Robert Costa.
Corker reportedly told Trump of his decision at their meeting on Tuesday. Corker described the job of vice president as being “highly political” and said he was not a good pick for the job or for the Trump campaign.
Corker’s name had been circulated as a potential pick to be Trump’s running mate, along with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R), former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA). Trump will reportedly select a vice president next week.
Read Washington Post’s full report.