Dayton Offers Compromise On GOP Budget Offer

Could the gridlock which has shut down Minnesota’s government for two weeks finally be over?

Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton on Thursday offered to compromise on a Republican budget offer, the Star Tribune and others report, which the GOP submitted June 30 just before the shutdown. While Dayton doesn’t like many proposals included in the offer, he said in a letter to Republican legislative leaders, “this is the only viable option that’s potentially available.”From the Star Tribune:

The GOP offer had two primary components. The state would drive down the deficit $700 million by increasing the amount of deferred school payments. It would then borrow from future tobacco settlement payments, which Dayton wrote in a letter Thursday would net $700 million.

But the governor has a few conditions: that the GOP remove its policy issues from the budget, drop a 15 percent reduction to the number of state employees in all agencies and support a $500 million bonding bill. Read Dayton’s letter here.

In the letter, Dayton said if Republicans meet those terms, he is ready to work “around the clock” to get the deal done. He’s hoping the work can be done in three days, so Dayton’s comissioners can sign off on the bill necessary for an agreement, and he can call a special legislative session.

So far, Republicans have not responded to Dayton’s offer.

Comments
Masthead Masthead
Editor & Publisher:
Managing Editor:
Senior News Editor:
Assistant Editor:
Editor at Large:
Investigations Desk:
Senior Political Correspondent:
Reporters:
Newswriters:
Front Page Editor:
Social Media Editor:
Editor for Prime & Special Projects:
General Manager & General Counsel:
Executive Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Publishing Associate:
Front-End Developer:
Designer: