The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued the ruling Tuesday in the case involving Mohammed al-Qahtani (kah-TAH'-nee).
Authorities have said al-Qahtani missed being the 20th hijacker in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks when he was denied entry into the U.S. at a Florida airport.
A 2012 lawsuit filed by the Center for Constitutional Rights said the release of the images would be in the public interest. A federal judge who reviewed the material ruled last year said it could be kept secret because extremists might use it to incite violence against Americans.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.