Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) on Tuesday definitively ruled out a 2016 White House bid.
“I am not running for president in 2016,” Patrick told reporters at UMass Boston, according to a transcript of his comments provided to the Boston Globe by his office.
Patrick said that he intends to return to the private sector at the end of his term in January 2015. The Democrat had been included in many surveys of the 2016 race, nearly all of which had shown him polling poorly when matched against better-known prospective candidates like Hillary Clinton, Vice President Joe Biden and even his fellow Bay State Democrat, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA).