O’Reilly Blames His Departure From Fox On ‘Completely Unsubstantiated Claims’

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly on Wednesday said that “completely unsubstantiated claims” were to blame for his departure from the network following accusations of sexual harassment against him.

“It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims,” O’Reilly said in a statement.

O’Reilly said that his show — formerly “The O’Reilly Factor,” but already renamed to “The Factor” by Wednesday afternoon — “significantly contributed to” the network’s success.

“I wish only the best for Fox News Channel,” he said.

The New York Times reported earlier in April that at least five women took a total of $13 million in settlements from O’Reilly or the network’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, after making allegations of sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior by the host.

21st Century Fox also cited “a thorough and careful review of the allegations” in its announcement Wednesday afternoon that O’Reilly would “not be returning.”

Read O’Reilly’s statement below:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Esme Cribb is a newswriter for TPM in New York City. She can be found on Twitter @emquiry and reached by email at esme@talkingpointsmemo.com.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK