Nicole_lafond_profile2019

Nicole Lafond

Nicole Lafond is a news writer for TPM based in New York City. She is also currently earning a master's degree in journalism from Columbia University and previously worked as an education reporter at The News-Gazette in Champaign, Ill. Follow her on Twitter @Nicole_Lafond.

Articles by Nichole

President Donald Trump is reportedly upset with White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders for how she fielded questions from reporters Wednesday about the porn actress he allegedly had an affair with more than 10 years ago, CNN reported Thursday.

According to a source close to the White House who spoke with CNN’s Jim Acosta, Trump thinks Sanders gave the Stormy Daniels story “steroids” Wednesday by mentioning that Trump’s attorneys had won arbitration against Daniels — whose actual name is Stephanie Clifford — in Trump’s favor.

NBC News reported Wednesday that Trump’s attorney Michael Cohen had won a “secret” restraining order against Daniels, who is suing Trump because he did not sign the nondisclosure agreement she agreed to in 2016 that barred her from talking about the affair.

Daniels reportedly agreed to a hush payment just days before the 2016 election and Cohen paid her $130,000 out of his own pocket.

Trump and Daniels reportedly had an intimate relationship for more than a year between 2006 and 2007, when Trump and his wife Melania Trump had just had their first child together. Daniels detailed the relationship to In Touch Magazine in 2011, and the transcript of the interview was published late last year. 

Read More →

President Donald Trump on Thursday said the United States’ “real friends” who are “fair” on trade, as well as the military, will likely be given an exemption from Trump’s new tariffs on aluminum and steel imports.

“We have to protect and build our steel and aluminum industries while at the same time showing great flexibility and cooperation toward those that are real friends and treat us fairly on both trade and military,” Trump tweeted Thursday morning.

Trump announced last week that he plans to order new tariffs of 25 percent on imported steel and 10 percent on aluminum. He initially claimed the White House would not “back down” on the new measures, even for Mexico, Canada and members of the European Union. Trump later walked that back, saying if the U.S. is able to negotiate a better deal on the North American Free Trade Agreement, there might be room for exemptions for certain countries.

Thursday’s tweet echoes the White House’s sentiment this week — that there might be “carve outs” for countries like Mexico, Canada and some in Europe, for national security purposes.

While the White House claims there is no one factor that led to the resignation of economic adviser Gary Cohn, multiple news outlets report that he resigned over the tariff plan. Bloomberg News reported Wednesday that Trump asked for Cohn’s loyalty on the new tariffs just hours before Cohn offered his resignation.

Like Cohn, Republicans in Congress are uneasy about Trump’s tariff plan, arguing the move could set off a global trade war and could harm the economic momentum ignited by the Republican tax cuts and Trump’s deregulation measures.

Read More →

President Donald Trump reportedly asked at least two key witnesses about their interviews with special counsel Robert Mueller, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

According to three people familiar with the conversations who spoke with the Times, Trump reportedly asked an aide to tell White House counsel Don McGahn to issue a statement refuting an article in the Times in January that said McGahn told Mueller investigators that Trump had once asked him to fire Mueller. McGahn did not release a statement contradicting the story and reportedly had to remind Trump that he did, in fact, ask him to dismiss the special counsel.

In another encounter, Trump reportedly grilled his former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus about how his interview with the Mueller team went and asked Priebus if the investigators had been “nice” to him, two people familiar with the conversation told the Times.

Witnesses and lawyers who knew about the President’s inquiries informed Mueller of the conversations, according to the Times. In recent interviews, Mueller’s team has asked witnesses about their interactions with Trump since the probe began.

Mueller is investigating Russian meddling in the 2016 election and whether the Trump campaign colluded with the foreign power to aid in those efforts. Mueller is also looking into whether Trump tried to obstruct the investigation by firing of former FBI Director James Comey. Trump’s questioning of key witnesses about their conversations with investigators could further spur Mueller’s obstruction inquiries, according to experts who spoke with the Times.

Read More →

Despite vowing in December to retire at the end of his term after at least three women accused him of sexual misconduct, Rep. Ruben Kihuen (D-NV) is now reportedly considering filing for reelection.

In the weeks leading up to the announcement of his retirement, Kihuen defiantly denied the allegations and claimed many Democratic leaders knew about the accusations during his campaign.

According to a Nevada Independent report Wednesday, Kihuen has recently been in contact with donors as well as the local culinary union, which covers casinos, restaurants, hotels and bars, about a potential bid. He has also reportedly been in touch with retired Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) about running again, but it is unclear if Reid was supportive of his potential run. Kihuen has reportedly told donors that he’s been encouraged to seek a second term, according to the Nevada Independent.

The Democratic House member has until next Friday to decide whether the file.

Former Rep. Steven Horsford announced he would run for Kihuen’s seat after Kihuen said he would not seek reelection. The culinary union is reportedly going to continue backing Horsford, even if Kihuen throws in his hat, according to The Nevada Independent.

After several high-level Democrats — including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) — called on Kihuen to resign when allegations of sexual assault, harassment and misconduct surfaced, the House Ethics Committee opened an investigation on Dec. 15. A day later, Kihuen said he would not seek reelection, despite his consistent denial of all the accusations.

At least three women have come forward, claiming Kihuen harassed them for dates and sex despite their repeated rejections. One woman told Buzzfeed News she left her job working for Kihuen’s campaign because he repeatedly harassed her and allegedly touched her thighs without her consent twice.

A spokesperson for Kihuen and Pelosi did not immediately respond to TPM’s requests for comments.

Read More →

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and “Morning Joe” co-host Joe Scarborough on Wednesday got into a heated discussion about the intricacies of the Second Amendment and the constitutionality of owning a weapon like an AR-15.

Asked on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” about the “lethality” of an AR-15, Cruz argued that such firearms are only perceived as more deadly because they are “scary-looking.”

“The lethality of an AR-15 is indistinguishable from many deer rifles,” he claimed.

“So deer rifles are just as lethal? If somebody takes a deer rifle into a high school in Parkland, that that deer rifle is going to be just as lethal as an AR-15?” Scarborough asked.

“Going after the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, it doesn’t work,” Cruz fired back.

In response, Scarborough cited Cruz’s argument in the 2008 case District of Columbia v. Heller, where Cruz represented 31 states and opposed a ban on handgun possession.

Heller was about a semi-automatic handgun which the Supreme Court said the Second Amendment protected and the District of Columbia couldn’t ban,” Cruz said.

“But you know, though, that every American doesn’t have a constitutional Second Amendment right to carry an AR-15. Yes or no?” Scarborough replied.

“I’m not going to debate that,” Cruz replied, and then cited his own history of litigation before the Supreme Court, adding of Scarborough: “I recognize that’s not what you do.”

“Wait. I don’t need you to lecture me on what the Supreme Court does and what it doesn’t do,” Scarborough, who was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and a lawyer before becoming a journalist, fired back.

He accused Cruz of talking down to him, and continued, over Cruz’s interjections, “Even a dumb country lawyer like me understands that an AR-15, today, is not recognized as a Constitutional right of Americans under the Second Amendment.”

Watch the full exchange below:

Read More →

President Donald Trump demanded Director of National Economic Council Gary Cohn be supportive of his new tariffs on steel and aluminum during a meeting in the Oval Office Tuesday, just hours before Cohn resigned, Bloomberg News reported Tuesday.

According to two people familiar with the matter who spoke to Bloomberg, Cohn would not agree to fully support Trump’s new proposals. The White House announced his resignation just hours later.

During the Oval Office meeting Tuesday, Trump asked for an update on the legal paperwork associated with making the tariffs –a 25 percent tariff on steel and 10 percent on aluminum — official. He also discussed the timing of when he could sign the new order and asked everyone in the room if they were “all on the same team,” according to Bloomberg’s reporting.

Trump reportedly asked Cohn specifically if he was going to be supportive of the tariffs and Cohn didn’t answer, according to the sources who spoke with Bloomberg. One person familiar with Cohn told Bloomberg that Trump did not demand loyalty during the meeting. That person said also that Cohn is actually supportive of tough tariffs on China, but not against Canada, Mexico or the European Union, according to Bloomberg.

The New York Times first reported Cohn’s resignation on Tuesday evening. Sources told the Times that there was “no single factor” behind Cohn’s departure.

Cohn reportedly considered resigning in August over Trump’s response to the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Read More →

A Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) official will return to work on Wednesday after he was suspended for two weeks following reports that he pushed conspiracy theories on social media during the 2016 election, Politico reported.

An HHS spokesperson told Politico that Jon Cordova, the HHS principal deputy assistant secretary for administration, had “expressed sincere and deep apology” for the things he posted on social media and claimed that Cordova “allowed the heat of the political campaign” to undermine “his better judgment.”

“While he continues to work at HHS, Mr. Cordova – along with all department employees – will be expected to demonstrate a full commitment to inclusiveness and respect for all Americans that we serve,” the spokesperson told Politico, adding that none of the conspiracy theories were shared during his time at HHS.

CNN was first to report on Cordova’s posts that spread false stories about former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX). Some of the stories Cordova — who was a Trump campaign staffer at the time — shared, pushed theories that Cruz was involved with prostitutes and that Gold Star father Khizr Khan was a “Muslim plant” working with the Clinton campaign, according to CNN.

Read More →

President Trump Holds a Joint Press Conference with Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven at 3:30 p.m. ET Tuesday. Watch live below:

 

A 20-year-old Oregon man on Monday filed lawsuits against Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods for refusing to sell him a firearm, just a week after both retailers announced they would not sell guns to anyone under the age of 21.

Tyler Watson, a 20-year-old from Gold Hill, Oregon, alleged in lawsuits filed separately against both retailers that they discriminated against him based on his age when they refused to sell him firearms.

Watson claimed that he attempted to purchase a .22 caliber Ruger rifle from Dick’s on Feb. 24 and then tried to buy a gun from Walmart on March 3. According to the lawsuit, both retailers refused to sell Watson a firearm because of his age. Oregon state law allows anybody to purchase rifles or shotguns starting at the age of 18, but federal law requires a person to be 21 in order to purchase a handgun, though that restriction does not extend to shotguns or rifles.

The lawsuits were filed the week after both retailers announced new restrictions on gun sales after a 19-year-old allegedly opened fire with an AR-15 rifle at a high school in Parkland, Florida, where 17 people died.

Dick’s announced on Feb. 28 that it will no longer sell assault-style rifles and that a customer would have to be 21 years old in order to purchase any gun from its stores. Walmart stopped selling AR-15s and other types of semi-automatic weapons in 2015, but also announced last week that it will no longer sell firearms or ammunition to anyone under 21 years of age.

Watson in his lawsuits demanded that both retailers “stop unlawfully discriminating against 18, 19 and 20-year-old customers” in Oregon. He is also seeking punitive damages for “illegal age discrimination” in violation of state law.

Watson’s attorney Max Whittington told the Oregonian in an interview published Monday that his client is the first to file suit against the retail giants for their policy change. Whittington said Watson did not know about the new policy when he attempted to purchase the weapon.

“He was really just trying to buy a rifle,” Whittington told the Oregonian.

Whittington did not immediately respond to TPM’s request for comment.

A Walmart spokesperson told the Oregonian that the corporation plans to stand by and defend its new policy. A Dick’s Sporting Goods spokesperson did not immediately respond to TPM’s request for comment. 

Read More →

President Donald Trump on Tuesday suggested there may soon be more turnover in the White House, less than a week after the resignation Communications Director Hope Hicks, one of his longest serving aides.

In a tweet Tuesday, Trump dispelled reports that there’s “CHAOS” in the White House and claimed “people will always come and go.”

“I want strong dialogue before making a final decision,” he said. “I still have some people that I want to change (always seeking perfection). There is no Chaos, only great Energy!”

It is unclear who the “some people” Trump referenced may be.

The tweet follows reports that Trump is looking to oust his family members and senior aides Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump. The New York Times reported Thursday that Trump has asked his chief of staff John Kelly for help in pushing the couple out of the White House. Two people familiar with the Trump’s thinking told the Times that Trump has become increasingly frustrated with Kushner over his downgraded security status and scrutiny in the press over Kushner’s family’s business ties.

Trump is reportedly also mulling replacing National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster. NBC reported last week that Kelly and Defense Secretary James Mattis are orchestrating the move. 

CNN reported last week that the Pentagon was quietly searching for a four-star military position in either the Army or Department of Defense for McMaster that could be considered a promotion. The move comes after months of mounting tensions between President Donald Trump and McMaster, according to CNN. The White House has denied those reports.

Read More →

LiveWire