Nicole_lafond_profile2019

Nicole Lafond

Nicole Lafond is a news writer for TPM based in New York City. She is also currently earning a master's degree in journalism from Columbia University and previously worked as an education reporter at The News-Gazette in Champaign, Ill. Follow her on Twitter @Nicole_Lafond.

Articles by Nichole

CBS will likely air its “60 Minutes” interview with porn actress Stormy Daniels on March 25, according to two people familiar with the matter who spoke with The Washington Post.

Daniels’ attorney, Michael Avenatti, teased the interview last week when he tweeted a picture of Daniels, himself and news anchor Anderson Cooper and tagged “@60Minutes” in the tweet.

But CBS has been silent on an air date amid speculation over whether it would broadcast the interview and how much of the supposed tell-all the network would actually include. The interview is expected to reveal intimate details of Daniels’ alleged sexual affair with President Donald Trump, some of which could be considered embarrassing for the President, as TPM has reported. Earlier this week, CBS said reporters had to do more work on corroborating Daniels’ claims before it aired the episode.

On Sunday, Buzzfeed News reported that Trump’s legal team was considering taking legal action to block the interview from airing. 

Read More →

During a House Natural Resources Committee hearing on Thursday, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke greeted a fourth-generation Japanese-American congresswoman by saying “konnichiwa,” a traditional midday Japanese greeting.

Rep. Colleen Hanabusa (D-HI) on Thursday asked Zinke if he was planning to commit to funding a National Park Service program this year, that gives out grants toward the preservation of confinement camps that Japanese-Americans were held in during World War II. Hanabusa herself is a granddaughter of two internees who were held during World War II.

“Are you committed to continue to grant programs that are identified, I believe, as the Japanese American Confinement Sites grants program which were funded in 2017? Will we see them funded again in 2018?” Hanabusa asked.

“Oh, konnichiwa,” Zinke said.

Hanabusa then corrected Zinke, saying she thought it was still morning— “I think it’s still ‘ohayo gozaimasu,’ but that‘s OK,” she said, referencing the phrase for “good morning.”

Zinke paused and then suggested he would fund the program and promised to work with Hanabusa on the issue. 

Watch a clip of the exchange below:

Read More →

The parents of Seth Rich, a former Democratic National Committee staffer who was murdered in July 2016, said in an interview published Thursday that they felt their son was “murdered again” when Fox News published a since-retracted story linking their son to the hack and release of thousands of DNC emails.

Your son is murdered again, and this time it’s worse than the first time,” Seth Rich’s mother Mary Rich told ABC News. “We lost his body this first time, and the second time we lost his soul. They took more from us with the lies. We want our son’s life, and his soul restored.”

The Rich family on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against Fox News, reporter Malia Zimmerman and Ed Butowsky, a Republican donor who occasionally appeared on air. The lawsuit alleges that Zimmerman and Butowsky reached out to the Riches under false pretenses and claimed that they wanted to help solve Seth Rich’s murder, but later painted their son as a criminal and a traitor, according to ABC News.

A Fox News spokesperson told TPM that the network “can’t comment on this pending litigation.”

In July 2016, Seth Rich was shot in the back several times and later died in the hospital. Police said that Rich may have been the victim of a botched robbery, but his murder still remains unsolved. Fox News in May 2017 published a story where it falsely claimed that Seth Rich was murdered because he was involved in the hack and release of thousands of DNC emails in the summer of 2016.

The U.S. intelligence community in October 2016 said that the Russian government was behind the hacks. Fox News retracted the story about Seth Rich just days after it was published, but the family claims the damage was still significant.

Mary Rich told ABC News that her son’s “computer didn’t have anything on it,” and that Fox News “took a rumor and ran with it” and never called the family to check any facts.

What has to come out is the truth, and hopefully when we take it to court, they’ll hear it again, what we’ve told them already,” she said. “I want the people who started the lies, who are responsible for lies to be held accountable. This has got to stop.”

Read More →

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster (R) on Wednesday dove head first into an alt-right conspiracy theory that the students who are advocating for gun control after 17 people were killed at a Florida high school last month are being “used as a tool by these left wing groups.”

Discussing the national day of protest, in which students across the country walked out of their classrooms Wednesday to protest gun violence and demand stricter gun laws, McMaster told South Carolina’s Education TV that it was a “shameful” move by a “left wing group.”

“It appears these school children, innocent school children, are being used as a tool by these left-wing groups to further their own agenda,” he said in a video flagged by CNN. “It is not about the tragedy, it is not about the school children. … This is a tricky move, I believe, by a left-wing group, from the information I’ve seen, to use these children as a tool to further their own means. It sounds like a protest to me. It’s not a memorial, it’s certainly not a prayer service, it’s a political statement by a left-wing group and it’s shameful.”

McMaster isn’t the first Republican to make such claims.

In the days following the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last month, alt-right groups theorized that the students who were vocally advocating for gun reform were paid “crisis actors” and pawns of liberal groups that want to promote gun control.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) was quick to squash the validity of those theories, but it didn’t stop the conspiracy from spreading. The President’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., appeared to support the claims when he liked a tweet that shared a story that attacked one of the student survivors whose father is a retired FBI agent. 

Read More →

President Donald Trump confirmed reports that Larry Kudlow will serve as the next National Economic Council director in a Thursday morning tweet.

“Our country will have many years of great economic and financial success, with low taxes, unparalleled innovation, fair trade and an ever expanding labor force leading the way!” he said.

Kudlow will replace Gary Cohn, who resigned last week after reportedly expressing his opposition to Trump’s new tariffs on steel and aluminum. Officially, the White House said there was no single factor that led to Cohn’s resignation.

Trump told reporters Tuesday that he was “very strongly” considering Kudlow for the position. The Washington Post and CNBC were first to report Wednesday that Kudlow would replace Cohn. Kudlow, currently a CNBC financial analyst, was an adviser to Trump during the 2016 campaign. He also worked in the Ronald Reagan administration as an economic policy adviser. Kudlow has also previously expressed his opposition to the new tariffs and has been vocal about breaking with Trump on other issues.

When Trump offered Kudlow the job, he reportedly told Kudlow that his staff wasn’t aware that he was offering him the job, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Per WSJ:

At one point during their call Tuesday, Mr. Kudlow said the president seemed to revel in the fact that his staff didn’t know they were discussing the job. The president told him, “‘No one else knows that you and I are having this conversation.’ I loved it,” said Mr. Kudlow. “He is who he is.”

Read More →

During a fundraising speech in Missouri Wednesday night, President Donald Trump reportedly told supporters that he made up a trade claim in a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, according to audio of the event obtained by The Washington Post.

Trump reportedly called Trudeau a “nice guy, good looking guy” and admitted that he told Trudeau that Canada has a trade deficit with the U.S., even though he had no idea whether that was actually accurate.

Read the transcript of the audio from the event, per the Post:

“Trudeau came to see me. He’s a good guy, Justin. He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,’ ” Trump said, mimicking Trudeau, according to audio obtained by The Washington Post. “Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — ‘Donald, we have no trade deficit.’ He’s very proud because everybody else, you know, we’re getting killed.

“… So, he’s proud. I said, ‘Wrong, Justin, you do.’ I didn’t even know. … I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid. … And I thought they were smart. I said, ‘You’re wrong, Justin.’ He said, ‘Nope, we have no trade deficit.’ I said, ‘Well, in that case, I feel differently,’ I said, ‘but I don’t believe it.’ I sent one of our guys out, his guy, my guy, they went out, I said, ‘Check, because I can’t believe it.’

‘Well, sir, you’re actually right. We have no deficit, but that doesn’t include energy and timber. … And when you do, we lose $17 billion a year.’ It’s incredible.”

The U.S. actually has a trade surplus with Canada, according to the Post. Trump on Thursday morning attempted to clarify his comments on Twitter, but claimed the U.S. has a trade deficit with Canada. 

The Wednesday night admission is particularly startling given Trump’s announcement last week that the U.S. would implement tariffs on steel and aluminum imports to the U.S. He also called the North American Free Trade Agreement a disaster and claimed key allies like the European Union, China, Japan and South Korea were taking advantage of the U.S.

Read More →

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is currently reviewing a request to fire former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe, who has been on a leave of absence from the bureau since January and is set to officially retire on Sunday.

According to people inside the Justice Department who spoke to The New York Times, McCabe is expected to be fired before the end of the work week, though no official decision has been made yet.

The Justice Department inspector general is probing McCabe’s decision to allow members of the FBI to speak with reporters about its probe into the Clinton Foundation in 2016. According to The New York Times, the IG office has found that McCabe was not forthcoming during the review and the report findings ignited an FBI disciplinary process that recommended McCabe be fired.

Sessions will get to decide whether to accept the recommendation, a move that would threaten his ability to collect a pension after his 21-year career with the FBI, according to the Times.

McCabe took a leave of absence in January following reports that President Donald Trump and Sessions tried to pressure FBI Director Chris Wray to fire McCabe. Wray reportedly threatened to resign if he was forced to fire the deputy director.

As TPM and the Times reported in January, the forthcoming report from the IG fueled McCabe’s decision to leave the bureau before his retirement in March.

The IG was probing a variety of different moves made by the FBI during its investigations during the 2016 election, including its handling of the Hillary Clinton email probe and whether McCabe should’ve recused himself from the investigation, given his wife ran as a Democrat for public office in 2015. Trump has repeatedly bullied McCabe and that perceived conflict of interest on Twitter.

Read the rest of the Times report here. 

Read More →

CNN host Chris Cuomo will leave his early morning “New Day” show to host “Cuomo Prime Time” in the 9 p.m. EST hour, starting sometime this spring, according to CNN.

Cuomo hosted a show in the primetime slot for a week last summer and spent most of the month of January balancing “Cuomo Prime Time” with “New Day,” which runs from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. EST. CNN’s 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. co-anchor John Berman will join “New Day” co-host Alisyn Camerota for the early morning shift. The exact date of the change has not been decided yet, according to CNN.

The move will put Cuomo in direct competition with Fox News’ Sean Hannity and MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, both of whom pulled in more than 600,000 25 to 54-year-old viewers a piece last month. Currently CNN airs “AC360” during the 9 p.m. EST hour, which averaged about 386,000 viewers in the 25 to 54 year-old demographic in February, CNN reported.

In a tweet, Cuomo confirmed the new show, saying he hopes to “talk TO people more and ABOUT them less.”

Cuomo, whose father Mario Cuomo was the former governor of New York and his brother Andrew Cuomo is the current governor, has been the co-anchor of “New Day” since 2014.

Read More →

President Donald Trump is considering ousting more of his administration’s top officials, CNN reported Wednesday.

Among those who are reportedly likely on their way out, according to CNN: National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster, Chief of Staff John Kelly and Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin.

People familiar with the matter who spoke with CNN said McMaster appears to be ready to move on, following months of reports that the Pentagon was looking for a job for him that would serve as a promotion upon leaving the White House. Kelly was reportedly orchestrating the removal of McMaster. Among those reportedly being considered to replace McMaster include John Bolton, who served as the U.S. ambassador to the U.N. under the President George W. Bush administration as well as National Security Agency Director Admiral Mike Rogers and others, according to CNN.

Kelly’s departure is seen as less imminent that McMaster’s, CNN reported, but Trump’s outside advisers are reportedly putting out feelers for candidates to replace him, according to those who have been approached about the position. 

While Trump initially didn’t have an issue with President Barack Obama-era holdover Shulkin, he now wants him out, according to two sources familiar with the discussions who spoke to CNN. Shulkin has recently come under fire because one of his staffers altered an email that made it easier for his wife to travel to Europe with Shulkin on the taxpayers’ dime. Trump is reportedly looking to his Energy Secretary Rick Perry as a replacement, and Shulkin could be forced out within the next few days, according to The Washington Post.

Trump publicly signaled there may be more turnover soon, telling reporters Tuesday, “I’m really at a point where we’re getting very close to having the Cabinet and other things that I want.”

Read More →

President Donald Trump did not hide his frustrations with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in public, evidenced by his tweets in recent months chastising Tillerson for attempting to reach a diplomatic solution with “Rocket Man” in North Korea.

That public humiliation culminated Tuesday in Trump’s decision to inform his secretary of state that he was out of a job via Twitter.

But Trump also reportedly wasn’t shy about expressing his irritation with Tillerson in private, in the West Wing, either.

According to The Washington Post, Trump became annoyed with Tillerson early-on in the presidency and would openly mock Tillerson’s “mannerisms and Texas drawl, saying his secretary of state talked too slowly,” in the Post’s words.

Trump would also reportedly tell friends and advisers that Tillerson was “weak” and would often name off other people he thought would be better at the job. Trump was reportedly particularly irked with Tillerson over his negative news coverage, according to the Post.

“This guy never gets a good story,” Trump said, according to an adviser who spoke with the Post.

Tillerson wasn’t innocent of mocking Trump either. The secretary of state reportedly called Trump a “moron” last summer, which pushed Trump to tweet challenging Tillerson’s I.Q.

Among his frustrations with the President, Tillerson was reportedly bothered by Trump’s impulsive behavior, his vulgarity and his inability to focus. Despite that, Tillerson reportedly wanted to stay in the job, even up until the point that he found out through Twitter Tuesday that he had been fired.

Read More →

LiveWire