Nicole_avatar

Nicole Lafond

Nicole Lafond is a news writer for TPM based in New York City. She is also currently earning a master's degree in journalism from Columbia University and previously worked as an education reporter at The News-Gazette in Champaign, Ill. Follow her on Twitter @Nicole_Lafond.

Articles by Nichole

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) lost at least one supporter because of his tweet calling out the President for “recanting” his oath of office on Twitter Wednesday: Sean Hannity.

Retweeting Sasse’s message to the President — in which Sasse criticized President Donald Trump for attacking the freedom of the press — Fox News host Sean Hannity said supporting Sasse was “one of the biggest mistakes in my career” and called him “useless.”

Sasse shot back, saying Hannity “changed, not me” and that “some of us still believe in the Constitution.”

Hannity, a vocal supporter of Trump, responded with a series of tweets, saying he’d “never support censoring anybody!!” and calling Sasse a “#Loser” for not repealing Obamacare.

Sasse’s initial statement comes after Trump suggested that “Fake News” outlets should have their broadcasting licenses “challenged” or even “revoked.”

Trump’s irritation has been aimed at NBC News this week, after it published exclusive stories about Secretary of State Rex Tillerson wanting to resign this summer and calling Trump a “moron.”

Read More →

President Donald Trump does, in fact, believe the people of Puerto Rico are U.S. citizens worthy of the same relief efforts from the federal government as the residents of Florida and Texas, Trump’s Chief of Staff John Kelly said Thursday during a press briefing at the White House.

When asked how that sentiment translates into Trump’s Thursday morning tweets — where he said Congress would decide how much funding the U.S. territory gets and that federal recovery efforts couldn’t stay in Puerto Rico “forever!” — Kelly said his tweet was “exactly accurate.”

“The minute you go anywhere as a first responder, and this applies certainly to the military, you’re trying very hard, you’re working very hard to work yourself out of a job,” he said. “There will be a period in which we hope, sooner rather than later, to where the U.S. military and FEMA, generally speaking, can withdraw because then the government and the people of Puerto Rico are recovering sufficiently to start the process of rebuilding.”

He said Trump and Kelly have a “great relationship” with the governor of Puerto Rico and vowed the U.S. would “stand with those American citizens in Puerto Rico until the job is done.”

“The tweet about FEMA … is extremely accurate. They’re not going to be there forever and the whole point is to start to work yourself out of a job and transition to the rebuilding process.”

Read More →

Former Attorney General Loretta Lynch will voluntarily meet with congressional investigators next week as part of the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, CNN reported Thursday.

Lynch will speak with the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, sources told CNN. It’s possible Lynch will also speak to the Senate Judiciary Committee, according to the report.

Lynch is one of several former Obama officials who have been called to Congress for questioning as the committees look into Russian interference in the election.

Lynch will likely be asked about her private meeting with former President Bill Clinton on an airport tarmac while her office was investigating former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s use of private email. As a candidate, Donald Trump hammered Clinton over her use of a private email server.

Read More →

After President Donald Trump continued his tirade against Puerto Rico Thursday morning, the mayor of San Juan shot back and said Trump’s comments sound like they were coming from “a ‘Hater in Chief,’” not the President.

On Thursday morning Trump again criticized the U.S. territory’s debt and infrastructure issues. He tweeted that FEMA, the military and first responders couldn’t continue helping out Puerto Rico “forever!”

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz — who hasn’t been shy about calling out the President for the federal response to the devastation in Puerto Rico, which she thinks has been inadequate — pushed back.

She called his comments “unbecoming” of a commander-in-chief and said they seem “more to come from a ‘Hater in Chief.’”

Read More →

President Donald Trump continued his relentless criticism of Puerto Rico Thursday morning, suggesting the U.S. couldn’t aid in recovery and relief efforts in the U.S. territory “forever!”

Quoting former CBS News reporter Sheryl Attkisson and Puerto Rico’s governor in a tweet, Trump said the territory’s “electric and infrastructure was disaster before hurricanes” and passed the buck to Congress to “decide how much to spend.”

He then went on to propose that the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the military and first responders — who he said “have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances)” — cannot stay in the U.S. territory “forever!”

The tweets Thursday morning are just the latest attacks the President has launched on the U.S. territory, which was devastated by two hurricanes last month.

Trump has been complaining about Puerto Rico’s debt and infrastructure issues since the hurricanes made landfall and has claimed the mayor of San Juan has poor leadership skills. The President was likely irked by San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz for repeatedly appearing on cable news to ask for more help for Puerto Rico.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) pushed back shortly after Trump tweeted, asking the President why he “continue(s) to treat Puerto Ricans differently than other Americans” and saying FEMA needs to stay in the U.S. territory “until the job is done.”

Read More →

A Republican senator is questioning whether President Donald Trump is committed to defending the Constitution after the President suggested that news outlets’ broadcasting licenses should be “challenged.”

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) tweeted a statement late Wednesday asking whether Trump was “recanting his oath” of office.

“Mr. President: Words spoken by the President of the United States matter. Are you tonight recanting of the oath you took on January 20th to preserve, protect and defend the First Amendment?”

The President’s tweets are apparently in response to reports from NBC that Trump’s Secretary of State Rex Tillerson wanted to resign from his post this summer and called Trump a “moron.”

Both have denied that the reports are true.

While attacking the media isn’t new for Trump, his latest threat of using the power of the federal government to go after media companies represents a dramatic escalation in his ongoing war against the press.

Read More →

President Donald Trump is maintaining that he and his secretary of state have “a very good relationship,” despite reports that Rex Tillerson wanted to resign this summer and called Trump a “moron” when the President said he wanted to expand the U.S. nuclear arsenal.

“We had a very good lunch. We have a very good relationship. The press doesn’t really understand that, but that’s OK. We have a very good relationship,” Trump said, speaking to reporters during an appearance with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Wednesday.

Trump then answered questions about his heated rhetoric toward North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, saying he thinks he might have a “little bit different attitude on North Korea than other people,” likely referencing Tillerson’s continuous push for a diplomatic resolution to the escalating tensions with North Korea.

“I listen to everybody. But ultimately my attitude is the one that matters, isn’t it? That’s the way it works. That’s the way the system is. But I think I might have a somewhat different attitude and different way than other people,” he said. “I think perhaps I feel stronger and tougher on that subject than other people. But I listen to everybody. And ultimately I’ll do what’s right for the United States. And, really, what’s right for the world. Because that’s really a world problem.”

Read More →

NBC News did not run the Harvey Weinstein story that one of its contributors was chasing because executives “didn’t feel that we had all the elements that we needed to air it,” NBC President Noah Oppenheim said during a company town hall Wednesday.

Entertainment industry magazine The Hollywood Reporter first surfaced Oppenheim’s remarks.

On Tuesday, The New Yorker published a bombshell report about Weinstein’s decades-long history of sexual harassment and assault, written by NBC contributor Ronan Farrow.

The comments from the network president Wednesday follow criticism NBC has received for not publishing the report, which was originally slated to publish in February just before the Oscars, sources told The Hollywood Reporter. Farrow continued working on the piece into the summer, the sources said.

Oppenheim confirmed that Farrow originally started working on the story for NBC.

“We are proud of that. We launched him on that story, we encouraged him to report that story. We supported him and gave him resources to report that story over many, many months,” he said, according to Hollywood Reporter.

Executives reached a point this past summer when they decided Farrow didn’t have all the pieces he needed in order for NBC to air it, he said. Farrow took it the The New Yorker at that point, Oppenheim said, and “greatly expanded the scope of his reporting.”

“Suffice to say, the stunning story, the incredible story that we all read yesterday was not the story that we were looking at when we made our judgment several months ago,” he said. “But we couldn’t be prouder of him and I think all of you need to know about our feeling about the importance of the story is that we have been putting him on our air throughout the day yesterday and this morning, ever since.”

He said NBC will continue to “keep digging” on the Weinstein story and others like it.

We are not always going to be the ones that get it to the finish line, but I think more often than not, we will be. And I think we should all be proud of being an organization that is at least in the hunt on these things. So, thank you,” he said.

Read More →

After suggesting last week that American media outlets should be investigated by Congress, President Donald Trump on Wednesday appeared to threaten NBC’s broadcast license over the network’s reporting on tensions between the President and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

As a businessman and candidate, Trump frequently threatened to sue news organizations over unflattering coverage. But his latest threat of using the power of the federal government to go after media companies represents a dramatic escalation in his ongoing war against the press.

An NBC News report about Trump asking for more nuclear weapons — which reportedly is what pushed Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to call Trump a “moron” this summer — instigated Trump’s most recent Twitter attacks on the media.

He called the report “pure fiction” that was “made up to demean.”

He then raised the question of challenging news networks’ licenses saying the “fake news” is “bad for our country!”

The remarks are apparently referencing the Federal Communications Commissions’ (FCC) licensing policies, which allow companies like NBC and CNN to use public airwaves to broadcast their programs.

The FCC does not license the TV or radio networks, but rather individual broadcast stations, according to its online policy manual. It also is not responsible for the material that is put on the air.

Read More →

The inspector general for the Department of the Treasury is taking a second look at Secretary Steven Mnuchin’s travel records after the agency learned the department didn’t provide accurate information about Mnuchin’s trip to Trump Tower in New York in August, CNN Money reported Tuesday evening.

“The OIG has asked for follow-up information to assure that we have in fact received all relevant records,” Inspector General Rich Delmar told CNN.

The Treasury Department initially gave the IG documents that said Mnuchin had taken a military jet to a New Jersey airport with Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and budget director Mick Mulvaney, but a Treasury spokesperson told CNN that Mnuchin had taken a commercial flight to New York on Aug. 15.

The inspector general’s office said it didn’t know that he had flown commercial that day until CNN Money contacted them. The trip reportedly cost taxpayers $15,000.

A Treasury spokesperson clarified that Mnuchin took a commercial flight to New York and a military jet back to Washington “as he needed to access secure communications.”

That information was a “surprise” to Delmar, according to CNN, and prompted the re-launch of the probe.

Mnuchin is one of several cabinet members being investigated for their use of charter travel for official business.

Former Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price resigned last month after it was revealed that his penchant for private and military flights cost taxpayers north of $1 million.

Read More →

LiveWire