House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) sided on Monday with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) over Breitbart News, requesting that his column be pulled from the news outlet’s new California website.
Democrats called the website, which featured sexually suggestive images of Pelosi, “foul, offensive and disrespectful to all women.” They urged Republican leaders to condemn the site. McCarthy seems to have obliged.
“We didn’t condone them,” Matt Sparks, a McCarthy spokesman, told the Los Angeles Times, about the images. “We thought it was the right thing to do to ask for the column to be removed.”
“The images are inappropriate,” another spokesman, Mike Long, told ABC News.
Prior to Breitbart California’s launch, McCarthy expressed enthusiasm about the venture.
“This weekend’s launch of Breitbart California is a testament to his legacy of holding our public officials accountable for their actions,” McCarthy said in a statement last week. “I look forward to the voice of reform-minded Californians being represented without bias as Breitbart California launches.”