After a cease-and-desist letter from the Associated Press put a damper on his plans to sell his latest work of art, George Zimmerman announced he’ll be participating in a celebrity boxing match for charity.
“It was my idea,” the man acquitted in the killing of teenager Trayvon Martin told Radar Online in an interview published Thursday. “Prior to the incident I was actually going to the gym for weight loss and doing boxing-type training for weight loss and a mutual friend put me in contact with Damon [Feldman, a celebrity boxing promoter] and provided me with an opportunity and motivation to get back in shape and continue with my weight loss goals and also be able to help a charity out.”
Zimmerman didn’t confirm or deny to Radar whether he would be taking a cut of the proceeds from the match. He also declined to say exactly where the proceeds would be donated, beyond that is was an animal rescue.
“I’d love to tell you [the charity] but unfortunately there’s so much animosity still from people out there, that if I name the charity now they would get bombarded with negativity, so I’d rather not,” he said.
The match will air on March 1 online and on Pay Per View, according to Feldman, the boxing promoter. He told Radar he has yet to find a challenger for Zimmerman, although Zimmerman suggested he’d prefer to fight “Papa Smurf, the Easter Bunny and maybe the Michelin Man.”
So far one high-profile taker has stepped forward: rapper The Game.
“I would not be boxing for me. I’d be boxing for the legacy of Trayvon Martin and for his family,” the rapper told TMZ, adding “it’s legal, and I want to show him you can solve your disputes without a weapon.”
This post has been updated.