Nicole Lafond

Nicole Lafond is a news writer for TPM based in New York City. She is also currently earning a master's degree in journalism from Columbia University and previously worked as an education reporter at The News-Gazette in Champaign, Ill. Follow her on Twitter @Nicole_Lafond.

Articles by Nichole

The aid Mexico promised the U.S. to help with victims of Hurricane Harvey in Texas will now be redirected back to Mexico after the country was hit by a magnitude 8.1 earthquake that killed 95 people and a hurricane of its own.

The Mexican government announced its decision in a statement on Monday, saying it “unfortunately” wouldn’t be able to provide the aid it had promised Texas because Mexico needed to “channel all available logistical support to the families and communities that have been affected” into its own country.

Last month, the Mexican government released a statement promising help in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.

While President Donald Trump never responded to the country’s offer, Mexico’s foreign secretary had been in communication with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott about the aid and sent a detailed note of its offer to the State Department on Aug. 28.

On Sept. 6, Mexico received word that the U.S. had accepted its offer, but would only need “logistical support” from the country, as the need in Texas had “declined considerably,” according to the statement from Mexico.

While it had to withdraw its promise to help the U.S., the Mexican government expressed sympathy over the devastation in Florida after being struck by Hurricane Irma.

“The Mexican government expresses its full solidarity with Florida given the severe damage done by Hurricane Irma,” the statement said. “Mexico will be alert to developments related to this hurricane in the coming days and hopes that Florida, Texas and Louisiana soon recover from the damage caused by the hurricanes that have struck them.”

Trump has not offered condolences or aid to Mexico in the wake of the country’s two natural disasters, but Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called Mexico’s Foreign Secretary Luis Videgaray on Monday to express sympathy.

“He emphasized … that the U.S. government stands ready to assist our neighbors in Mexico during this difficult time,” a State Department spokesperson told The Los Angeles Times.

Read More →

The top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee said she fully expects to see Donald Trump Jr. back on Capitol Hill for a public hearing at some point to further discuss his meeting with a Russian lawyer last summer.

Trump Jr. met with the Senate Judiciary Committee for four hours last week to discuss his role in arranging a meeting that was proposed by a family friend as a chance to learn damaging information about his father’s presidential-opponent Hillary Clinton. It was presented as being a part of the Russian government’s efforts to aid President Donald Trump’s campaign, according to emails Trump Jr. released himself. 

After that meeting, CNN asked Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) if she expected to see Trump Jr. back in the Senate for public testimony.

“I do — come hell or high water,” she told the network.

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has been less committed than Feinstein about whether he plans to bring Trump Jr. back for further questioning, CNN reported.

During his interview with judiciary staff last week, Trump Jr. called the meeting with Kremlin-linked individuals a waste of time and he said he took the meeting to see if they had information about Clinton’s “fitness” for office.

He claimed neither he nor anyone he knew colluded with any foreign governments during the campaign.

Both CNN and The Washington Post reported that inside accounts of the testimony revealed that Trump Jr. declined to address some of the most important questions he was asked, like whether his father helped him dictate his response to press inquiries about the meeting.

Both the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee have expressed interest in fully vetting Trump Jr. after he released the email chain that led to his meeting with the Russian lawyer last summer.

In those emails the President’s son said he would “love” to meet with the Russians if they were able to produce damaging information on Clinton.

Read More →

Retiring Rep. Charlie Dent (R-PA) said one reason he’s not seeking reelection is because of the shift he’s seen in the balance of power between moderate and conservative members of his party.

“I’ll tell you what, the battle prior to Donald Trump was this: We had the purists versus the pragmatists — and the pragmatists were largely the governing wing of the party, of which I was a part,” he said on MSNBC’s “Hardball” Monday evening. “That was the battle, that was the litmus test. Now since Donald Trump has become President, the litmus test is more Trump loyalty — are you loyal enough?”

While Dent said Trump played a role in his retirement from Congress, it’s something he has been thinking about since September 2013, when right-wing members of his party shut down the government over a budget impasse.

He said he wants to leave the job “at the top of my game, some people hang on too long.”

“We were having challenges prior to Donald Trump. I mean the simple basic task of governance — just funding the government through a continuing resolution or preventing a default. These shouldn’t be very difficult things to do. But they became excruciatingly hard,” he said. “We have some responsibilities. And we just can’t get them done. And if you can’t take care of the basics, the fundamentals, then how can you advance big policy initiatives like tax reform, health care reform, infrastructure. That’s I guess the frustration for me.”

Dent, a moderate Republican, announced last week that he would not seek reelection when his term is up in 2018, The Washington Post first reported.

Dent is one of four Republicans from competitive districts that have announced they’ll retire when their term is up. Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), Dave Reichert (R-WA) and Dave Trott (R-MI) have all announced this year that they’re done with Congress.

Read More →

After former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon claimed New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie lost his shot at a cabinet job because he criticized the President after the Access Hollywood tape came out, Christie fought back.

In an interview with PBS News Hour Monday, Christie said “no one’s really going to care” about what Bannon says “now that he’s been fired” from the White House.

In a post-mortem interview with CBS’ Charlie Rose last week Bannon claimed the response to the release of the tapes, which featured President Donald Trump making lewd comments about women, was a “litmus test” for Trump supporters. He said Christie was not looked at for a cabinet position after that.

After the tapes came out, Christie still backed Trump, but said his comments were “unacceptable” and that he was “disturbed and disappointed by it and embarrassed for him and his family.”

Christie refuted Bannon’s claims.

“I was offered cabinet positions by this president. It’s been widely reported and it’s true that I was offered cabinet positions that I turned down, so I suspect this little black book that Mr. Bannon is talking about, the only one who read that little black book was Mr. Bannon himself,” Christie said. “I know that no one else cared about it and now that he’s been fired, no one’s really going to care about anything else Steve Bannon has to say.”

Read More →

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a new interview that she is now convinced that President Donald Trump’s associates helped the Russian government meddle in the 2016 election, telling USA Today she has “no doubt in my mind” that there was communication and possibly collusion between the two parties.

“There certainly was communication and there certainly was an understanding of some sort,” she told USA Today Monday. “Because there’s no doubt in my mind that Putin wanted me to lose and wanted Trump to win. And there’s no doubt in my mind that there are a tangle of financial relationships between Trump and his operation with Russian money. And there’s no doubt in my mind that the Trump campaign and other associates have worked really hard to hide their connections with Russians.”

The interview was part of Clinton’s promotion of her campaign tell-all, “What Happened.”

She said she is “convinced” the Trump campaign was involved in some type of coordination with Russia, but said she “happen(s) to believe in the rule of law and believe in evidence,” so she didn’t want to “make all kinds of outrageous claims.”

“But if you look at what we’ve learned since (the election), it’s pretty troubling,” she said.

She said she thinks the Russian president has had a “personal vendetta” against her since her husband’s presidency and because of certain moves she made as secretary of state.

“Yet I never imagined that he would have the audacity to launch a massive covert attack against our own democracy, right under our noses — and that he’d get away with it,” she said.

She told USA Today that she thinks there is still more to learn about Russia meddling in the election, including Wikileaks’ release of her campaign manager’s and the Democratic National Committee’s emails and Facebook ads that could have fueled Russian interests.

Read the full interview here.

Read More →

The liberal watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) filed a lawsuit against the Department of the Treasury on Monday for failing to respond to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request the group filed last month.

CREW filed a FOIA request with the Treasury Department on Aug. 23 requesting documents related to the Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and his wife Louise Linton’s use of a government plane to travel to Lexington, Kentucky on Aug. 21.

The pair traveled to the state to visit Fort Knox with Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and view the solar eclipse on-site. They also made an appearance at a luncheon with members of a local chamber of commerce, The Washington Post reported last month.

The trip gained national attention after Linton, a private citizen, posted a picture on Instagram of herself and Mnuchin exiting a government plane, where she tagged several high-end designers in various pieces of her clothing. Followers responded by criticizing Linton for being out of touch. Linton lashed out, mocking one of the commenters and bragging about her and her husband’s wealth.

While McConnell’s office originally said that Mnuchin, Linton and McConnell viewed the solar eclipse from the roof of Fort Knox just outside the path of totality, his team later changed the story, editing a caption on a photo of the trio on Facebook and issuing a statement saying they watched the eclipse from the lawn.

That, coupled with Linton’s social media post, was what prompted CREW to file a FOIA request for records related to Mnuchin’s use of a government plane for the Aug. 21 trip, as well as documents concerning authorization for and cost of using government planes for “any purpose since his appointment as Treasury Secretary,” according to the lawsuit.

The group made an “expedited request” for the documents because of the widespread media interest in the topic at the time, according to the suit. The Department of the Treasury not only failed to comply with the request, it didn’t even respond, according to CREW’s suit.

If Linton, a private citizen, used government resources to view the eclipse or if Secretary Mnuchin used government resources for personal purposes, the American people deserve to know all they can about the decision to use taxpayer resources instead of a commercial flight,” CREW officials said in a statement released Monday.

Governmental agencies are required to respond to FOIA requests within 20 working days of their filing, and agencies must respond to expedited requests within 10 days, according to the lawsuit.     

“We’re suing because the government has so far failed to even respond,” CREW Executive Director Noah Bookbinder said in a statement. “At a time of expected deep cuts to the federal budget, the taxpayers have a significant interest in learning the extent to which Secretary Mnuchin has used government planes for travel in lieu of commercial planes, and the justification for that use.”

A spokesperson for Department of the Treasury said the agency does not comment on litigation.

The lawsuit asks that the Treasury “immediately and fully process” CREW’s Aug. 23 expedited FOIA request and “disclose all non-exempt documents immediately.” It also asked the department to pay CREW’s attorney’s fees.

A Treasury source familiar with the lawsuit told TPM that the agency’s “FOIA office has received and is responding to the request.”

Read the full lawsuit below:

Read More →

Pope Francis would like to see President Donald Trump rethink his decision to end the Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program for the sake of keeping families together and letting undocumented young people who came to the U.S. as minors live a normal life.

“One hopes that it is re-thought somewhat,” Francis said Sunday aboard the Papal plane in response to a question about the program, Reuters reported. “The President of the United States … presents himself as a man who is pro-life. If he is a good pro-lifer, he understands that the family is the cradle of life and you have to defend its unity.”

The pope said it is important for young people to have their “roots.”

“In the end, young people feel like they have no hope. And who robs them of hope? Drugs, other addictions, suicides — youth suicides are very high — and this happens when they are torn from their roots,” Francis said.

The remarks come after Trump decided to end DACA, a program instituted by former President Barack Obama that protects undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children from being deported. The program will end in six months, according to the attorney general, giving Congress time to create a legislative solution to the issue.

Trump has said if Congress can’t act in six months, he will “revisit” what to do with the program.

The pope’s remarks on Sunday are not the first time he’s questioned Trump on issues regarding immigration. Francis called Trump’s border wall plan “not Christian” during the President’s campaign. 

Read More →

During an interview Monday with Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke, a “Fox and Friends” co-host compared the 9/11 national monument for the victims of Flight 93 to Confederate monuments.

Zinke, who was a Navy SEAL instructor on 9/11, appeared on Fox from Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where he was visiting the Flight 93 memorial with Vice President Mike Pence on the 16th anniversary of the terrorist attack Monday.

He called the monument an “example of Americans sticking together.”

“They are heroes and this monument, if you have not seen it, you know, drive out and take a look at it, it’s magnificently designed and magnificently done,” Zinke said.

“Do you worry 100 years from now someone is going to take that memorial down like they are trying to remake our memorials today?” co-host Brian Kilmeade asked, referencing moves to take down Confederate monuments and statues across the country in the wake of a violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia last month.

White nationalists gathered to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville. The rally turned violent, and a man affiliated with white supremacists allegedly drove his car through a group of counter-protesters, killing one woman.

Zinke slightly evaded the question, saying he is “one that believes … we should learn from history.”

“And I think our monuments are a part of our country’s history. We can learn from it. Since we don’t put up statues of Jesus, everyone is going to fall morally short,” he said. “I think reflecting on our history both good and bad is a powerful statement and part of our DNA. I’m an advocate, again, of learning from our monuments. … Monuments are not Republican, Democrat, Independent. Monuments are a tribute to all of us.”

Read More →

White House Social Media Director Dan Scavino tweeted a video of an airplane moving through a flooded tarmac on Sunday, claiming it was the Miami International Airport, according to a Buzzfeed News reporter who got a screen shot of the tweet before it was deleted.

In his tweet, Scavino said he was sharing information about Hurricane Irma from social media with the President and Vice President, as the storm pummeled the Florida coastline Sunday.

Just 10 minutes after the tweet was shared, the Miami International Airport’s Twitter account corrected the White House official, saying the video was not from their airport, Buzzfeed was the first to report.

The video is apparently from the Mexico City Airport last month.

Scavino tweeted an hour later saying he had deleted the tweet and that it had been among “100s of videos/pics I am receiving re:Irma.”

Throughout the weekend, the social media director shared several different videos circulated by news outlets and residents on Twitter.

Scavino used to be President Donald Trump’s golf caddy as a teenager and eventually became the general manger of the Trump National Golf Club in Westchester before he was appointed to the White House. 

Read More →

Speaking to reporters Sunday evening, President Donald Trump praised the search and rescue work of the U.S. Coast Guard, saying the Coast Guard’s “brand has improved” because of Hurricane Irma relief efforts.

I think we’re really well coordinated as well as you could possibly be,” he said. “And I’ll tell you what, we have great people, and a group that really deserves tremendous credit is the United States Coast Guard. What they’ve done — I mean, they’ve gone right into that, and you never know. When you go in there, you don’t know if you’re going to come out. They are really — if you talk about branding, no brand has improved more than the United States Coast Guard.”

He also thanked the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for its “incredible” work, but said he thinks “the hard part is now beginning.”

He said the “power of those hurricanes” is what concerned him most.

“Probably, I saw somebody say 57 years now. Now, who knows what that means? But it’s about the biggest ever recorded at land, and unfortunately, we got it,” he said, adding he hoped there weren’t “too many people” in the path of Hurricane Irma.

“I hope there aren’t too many people in the path. You don’t want to be in that path. That’s a path you don’t want to be in. We tried to warn everybody. For the most part, they’ve left, but that’s a bad path to be in,” he said.

His comments come after Hurricane Irma pummeled the east and west coast of the state of Florida over the weekend, causing widespread devastation. The latest hurricane comes not long after Hurricane Harvey hit Texas, flooding several parts of the state.

Read More →