B3fcbygfyul3rihsge5b

Esme Cribb

Esme Cribb is a newswriter for TPM in New York City. She can be found on Twitter @emquiry and reached by email at esme@talkingpointsmemo.com.

Articles by Esme

CNN commentator and Republican strategist Ana Navarro on Sunday said President Donald Trump “is inciting violence against the free press” by railing against the media.

On ABC News’ “This Week,” Navarro said Trump’s Sunday morning tweet of a video of himself attacking a figure with CNN’s logo superimposed on their face was “unacceptable.”

“I think that is the President of the United States taking things way too far. It is an incitement to violence. He is going to get somebody killed in the media,” she said. “Maybe that will stop him.”

Navarro said she was “disappointed beyond belief” by White House homeland security adviser Tom Bossert’s response to the tweet.

Asked earlier on the same show to respond to Trump’s post, Bossert said he was “proud of the President for developing a Twitter and a social media platform where he can talk directly to the American people.”

“I think that no one would perceive that as a threat. I hope they don’t,” Bossert said. “He’s a genuine President expressing himself genuinely.”

“What a wuss. What a wuss,” Navarro said. “You could see that he is ceding his principles. You are the homeland security adviser and you can’t stand here and say the difference between right and wrong? That’s what’s part of the problem.”

She said Trump “is surrounded by enablers that do nothing but shake their heads and nod their heads in agreement with everything that he says.”

“They have got to stop. They have got to stand for democracy, for freedom of the press. This is just going way too far. The President of the United States is inciting violence against the free press,” Navarro said. “In America, we cannot stand for it.”

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) on Sunday pushed back against President Donald Trump’s attacks on the press as “the enemy of the American people.”

“There’s an important distinction to draw between bad stories or crappy coverage and the right that citizens have to argue about that and complain about that and trying to weaponize distrust,” Sasse said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

He said without differing opinions in journalism, people can end up in “echo chambers and silos of people that already believe only what they believe.” Sasse called it “a recipe for a new kind of tribalism.”

“It’s not helpful to call the press the enemy of the American people,” Sasse said. “The First Amendment is the beating heart of the American experiment and you don’t get to separate the freedoms that are in there.”

Over the past four days, Trump attacked “Morning Joe” hosts Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough, NBC News executives and CNN. On Sunday he tweeted a video of himself attacking a figure with CNN’s logo superimposed on their face.

“We differ about really big and important things in this country, and then we come together around the First Amendment,” Sasse said. “I mean, this is the 4th of July weekend.”

Republican senators have asked the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office to score two health care proposals, Axios reported on Saturday.

Axios reported, citing an unnamed Republican aide familiar with the discussions, that Senate Republicans asked the CBO to score one version of the bill including Sen. Ted Cruz’s (R-TX) proposal to bypass some insurance regulations and one version without it.

White House staffers on Sunday said Senate Republicans could vote on a health care bill as soon as the week after the July 4 recess.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price said the White House looks forward to Republican lawmakers “coming back after this Fourth of July recess and getting the work done.”

White House director for legislative affairs Marc Short said the administration is “getting close.”

“We hope that we come back the week after recess, we’ll have a vote,” Short said.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price on Sunday said President Donald Trump is “absolutely” focused on the Republican bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, amid the President’s feud with the media and lack of comment on health care.

“Conversations are ongoing as we speak. And, so, we look forward to, hopefully, them coming back after this Fourth of July recess and getting the work done,” Price said on NBC News’ “Meet the Press.”

“Not only has he unloaded on cable news hosts, including folks that I work with, but he seems to not be trying be helpful on health care publicly,” Chuck Todd pressed. “Last night, he holds a rally, of sorts. Didn’t talk about health care. He spent most of his time tweeting about anything other than health care. Is the president too distracted here to campaign for health care?”

“Absolutely not,” Price replied.

Later in the interview, Todd pressed again: “Why isn’t the president as devoted to this as you are?”

“Well, I think that he is, absolutely,” Price said. “The fact of the matter is that he can do more than one thing at a time.”

Trump continued his attacks on the press Sunday by tweeting a video of himself physically attacking a figure with CNN’s logo edited over their face, but did not offer any comment on the Republican effort to repeal and replace Obamacare.

White House director for legislative affairs Marc Short on Sunday said Republicans could vote on a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare within a few weeks.

“We’re getting close,” Short said on “Fox News Sunday.”

He said that if Republicans cannot agree on a plan to replace Obamacare, they should “take care of the first step and repeal” the legislation before coming up with a replacement.

“We hope that we come back the week after recess, we’ll have a vote,” Short said.

He dismissed the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office’s report that 22 million more people would lose coverage by 2026 under the Republican bill than under current law.

“That’s ridiculous,” Short insisted. “That’s not losing, that’s choosing.”

He said Trump “this weekend is continuing to make calls to members to try to get the Senate package across the finish line.”

According to NBC News, Trump is spending the weekend at his New Jersey golf club.

CNN on Sunday called President Donald Trump’s tweet of a video of himself attacking a figure whose face was obscured by the CNN logo “juvenile behavior far below the dignity of his office” and suggested Trump “start doing his” job governing instead.

The network’s communications team cited deputy White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sander’s remark on Thursday that Trump “in no way, form or fashion has ever promoted or encouraged violence — if anything, quite the contrary.”

In its full statement, CNN said Sanders “lied” and accused Trump of encouraging “violence against reporters.”

“Instead of preparing for his overseas trip, his first meeting with Vladimir Putin, dealing with North Korea and working on his health care bill, he is instead involved in juvenile behavior far below the dignity of his office,” CNN said. “We will keep doing our jobs. He should start doing his.”

White House homeland security adviser Tom Bossert on Sunday insisted President Donald Trump’s tweeted video of himself attacking a figure with the CNN logo for a face is “certainly not” a threat and just shows that he’s a “genuine” person.

Asked to respond on ABC’s “This Week” to the tweet shortly after Trump posted it, Bossert said it was his “first time seeing” the post.

“My first reaction to that tweet would be the same as any of the President’s tweets,” he said. “I’m pretty proud of the President for developing a Twitter and a social media platform where he can talk directly to the American people.”

He said Trump is “the most genuine president and the most non-politician president that we’ve seen in my lifetime.”

“Is that the kind of communication you want? That he’s beating up on somebody? That he’s beating up on the media?” Martha Raddatz asked. “That seems like a threat.”

“Certainly not, though. I think that no one would perceive that as a threat. I hope they don’t,” Bossert said.

He claimed Trump is “beaten up” by cable news coverage of his presidency and “has a right to respond.”

“And you don’t think that’s a threat to anyone? You don’t think that’s sending a message, ‘do that to the media’?” Raddatz pressed.

“No, I certainly don’t. I don’t think so,” Bossert responded. “And I think that, importantly here, he’s a genuine President expressing himself genuinely.”

President Donald Trump on Sunday tweeted a video of himself physically attacking a figure with CNN’s logo edited over their face.

CNN’s Brian Stelter noted that the video appeared four days ago on a Reddit thread in the website’s forum about Trump.

CNN’s communications team responded with a tweet citing deputy White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ claim on Thursday that Trump “in no way, form or fashion has ever promoted or encouraged violence.”

In a statement released later Saturday morning, CNN said Trump is “involved in juvenile behavior far below the dignity of his office” and said Sanders “lied.”

“We will keep doing our jobs,” CNN said. “He should start doing his.”

Trump’s tweet came amid a renewal of his attacks on the media.

At a re-election fundraiser on Wednesday, Trump said it would be “fun” to sue CNN, who he called “phonies” and “horrible human beings.”

On Thursday morning, Trump attacked “Morning Joe” host Mika Brzezinski’s appearance in the beginning of a tirade he continued for the next three days and expanded to include Brzezinski’s co-host Joe Scarborough (“Psycho Joe”), “out of control” NBC News executives and their “bad show.”

The Washington Post reported on Friday that unnamed White House advisers were frustrated with Trump’s focus on NBC News as opposed to CNN and believed his conflict with the latter has “clearer villains and heroes.”

On Saturday, Trump called CNN “garbage journalism” in yet another early-morning post.

He later claimed his “use of social media is not Presidential – it’s MODERN DAY PRESIDENTIAL.”

Trump continued his attacks on the press at an event in honor of veterans Saturday evening where he attacked the “fake media” and told attendees: “Their agenda is not your agenda.”

This post has been updated.

President Donald Trump on Saturday night kicked off his July 4 holiday weekend by continuing to rail against the press at an event in honor of veterans.

“The fake media is trying to silence us,” Trump said at an event honoring veterans at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.

Trump’s remarks came after his second of series of tweets railing against the media on Saturday, which also marked the third day of his renewed attacks on “Morning Joe” co-hosts Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough.

The President claimed in a post that his “use of social media is not Presidential – it’s MODERN DAY PRESIDENTIAL.”

“The people know the truth. The fake media tried to stop us from going to the White House. But I’m President and they’re not,” Trump said Saturday night to cheering. “We won and they lost.”

He said the press “used a hatchet” instead of “being subtle and smart.”

“The fact is, the press has destroyed themselves because they went too far,” Trump said. “The people saw it right from the beginning. Their agenda is not your agenda.”

President Donald Trump’s administration is “evaluating” the future of the White House Council on Women and Girls and considering whether to keep or eliminate the council, according to several reports.

Politico on Friday reported that the council has gone dark while the White House decides its future, according to three unnamed senior White House officials.

ABC News reported on Friday, citing an unnamed senior White House official, that Trump’s administration is debating the future of the council created by former President Barack Obama.

“The White House is evaluating the best positioning of this office going forward,” White House spokeswoman Hope Hicks told ABC News in a statement. “We want the input of the various agencies to understand the assets they have so that we make this office additive, not redundant.”

LiveWire