Hzaqoyig3ksb8r9diosx

Catherine Thompson

Catherine Thompson is a news writer for Talking Points Memo. Before joining TPM, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett and interned at The L Magazine. At New York University she served as the deputy managing editor of NYU's student newspaper, The Washington Square News. She can be reached at catherine@talkingpointsmemo.com.

Articles by Catherine

Two Boston area residents filed a lawsuit against the New York Post on Wednesday, accusing the newspaper of defamation for falsely portraying them as suspects in connection with the Marathon bombings, the Boston Globe reported.  

Salaheddin Barhoum, 16, and Yassine Zaimi, 24, were pictured three days after the bombing on the front page of the New York Post under the headline "Bag Men."  The lawsuit filed in Suffolk Superior Court alleges that the Post's photographs and articles were libelous and "would lead a reasonable reader to believe that plaintiffs had bombs in their bags, that they were involved in causing the Boston Marathon bombing."

The FBI released the first images of suspects Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev on the same day the Post published Barhoum and Zaimi's photographs,

The two students are seeking unspecified monetary compensation, asserting in the complaint that they were subject to “scorn, hatred, ridicule, or contempt in the minds of a considerable and respectable segment of the community.”

Former state Rep. Tom Emmer jumped into contention for outgoing Rep. Michele Bachmann's seat in the 2014 Minnesota congressional race as expected on Wednesday.

The 2010 Republican gubernatorial candidate told a crowd of supporters in Delano, Minn. that he has "never felt more compelled in my life to serve,” according to the Star Tribune.

Last week, Bachmann announced in a video that she would not seek a fifth term in the House.

Former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-AZ) launched an email campaign on Wednesday to lobby New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) to appoint a pro-gun control replacement for the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), according to Capital New York.

Giffords' pro-gun control PAC, Americans for Responsible Solutions, blasted out an email to supporters on Wednesday that included a link to a petition calling on Christie to honor Lautenberg's pro-gun control legacy by appointing an interim senator who supports expanding background checks on gun purchases. 

"Sen. Lautenberg cannot be replaced. However, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie must now select a successor," Giffords and her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, wrote in the email republished on Capital New York. "And he should pick one who supports expanding background checks to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the deranged."

Christie announced on Tuesday that he'll fill Lautenberg's seat with a special general election on Oct. 16. Lautenberg, 89, passed away on Monday from complications caused by pneumonia.

Giffords has been a vocal advocate for expanding gun control legislation since she resigned from Congress after suffering a gunshot wound to the head in a 2011 shooting in Tucson, Ariz.

This post has been updated.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in an interview with "NBC Nightly News" on Wednesday that he has "no intention" of heeding calls for his resignation.

The interview with NBC's Pete Williams marked the first time Holder has spoken one-on-one with the press since he came under scrutiny for seizing phone records and emails at the AP and Fox News. Holder said labeling Fox News reporter James Rosen a "co-conspirator" in a leak investigation was necessary to obtain a search warrant for his records, but the attorney general admitted that he was not "comfortable" making that designation.

Holder did not rule out a future transition to a new attorney general in the interview, but asserted that he will not be stepping down anytime soon.

"There are things I want to do, things I want to get done that I have discussed with the president," Holder told Williams. "Once I have finished that, I will sit down with him and we’ll determine when it is time to make a transition to a new attorney general.”

Williams asked Holder to clarify: “But to be clear, you’re not stepping down now?”

“No, I have no intention of doing so now,” Holder replied.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on Wednesday backed President Barack Obama's nominee to succeed Susan Rice as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.

"I support President Obama's nomination of Samantha Power to become the next U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations," McCain said in a statement, according to NBC News. "I believe she is well-qualified for this important position and hope the Senate will move forward on her nomination as soon as possible."

Power worked on Obama's 2008 presidential campaign and was the senior director for multilateral affairs and human rights at the National Security Council. She left the administration in February, believed at the time to be the front-runner to replace Rice at the United Nations if and when she left her post.

President Barack Obama on Wednesday formally announced Susan Rice's appointment as National Security Advisor to succeed Tom Donilon, who is stepping down.

"I'm absolutely thrilled that she'll be back at my side leading my national security team in my second term," Obama said of Rice. 

In the press conference at the White House Rose Garden, he described the ambassador as "fearless" and a "consummate public servant."

Rice thanked the president, saying "I am deeply grateful for your enduring confidence in me."

Obama also announced his intention to nominate Samantha Power, who he called "a relentless advocate for American interests and values," to replace Rice as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.

"I strongly urge the U.S. Senate to confirm her without delay," he said.

North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R) said on Tuesday that he's not interested in speaking with the NAACP after more than 100 people were arrested at the group's demonstration against conservative policies, TV station WTVD reports.

The NAACP's North Carolina chapter held a rally Monday at the Legislative Building in Raleigh, where police estimated 1,000 people were in attendance. 

McCrory said that protesters refusing to leave when asked was unacceptable and consumed "a lot of resources." The governor then added that he has no desire to sit down with the group.

"No," he said. "I am pleased that it's been non-violent, though, and that's the second most important parameter. That it be lawful and non-violent. I'm very pleased with the way the authorities have handled it, in a non-violent manner."

Miss America 2003 Erika Harold launched a congressional campaign in her native Urbana, Illinois on Tuesday, according to the State Journal-Register.

Harold will challenge freshman Rep. Rodney Davis (R-IL) in the 2014 Republican primary. The state GOP passed her over for the seat last year in favor of nominating Davis.

Another former Miss America crown holder, Heather French Henry, told the Lexington Herald-Leader in May that she's been encouraged to challenge Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) for the Kentucky U.S. Senate seat.

Civil rights organizations and legal ethics experts filed a judicial misconduct complaint on Tuesday against a senior federal judge, alleging that she made inappropriate statements against minority groups and people with mental disabilities, the New York Times reported.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, the complaint alleged that Judge Edith H. Jones, of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, said in a speech in February at the University of Pennsylvania Law School that African-Americans and Hispanics are "predisposed to crime" and that defendants facing capital punishment who claim "mental retardation" disgust her.

Jones was a potential Supreme Court nominee during the Bush Administration. Until October, she was the chief judge on the conservative 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. 

The current chief judge on that circuit, Carl E. Stewart -- the first African-American to fill that post -- will decide whether to dismiss the complaint, speak privately with Jones or order an investigation into the allegations.

Las Vegas police said a teenager died in a local hospital after being shot Tuesday afternoon at a home, according to TV station KVVU

Metro police spokesman Sgt. John Sheahan told the Las Vegas Sun that the shooting involved two 13-year-olds; KVVU reported that there were three juveniles inside the home when the teen was shot. It's not clear if adults were present at the time of the shooting.

Police said the shooting appeared to be an accident. 

Metro's Sgt. Annette Darr told KVVU, "Guns should be kept under lock and key at all times. Gun safes are the best bet so children don't have easy access to firearms."

TPMLivewire