Ammon Bundy told The Oregonian/OregonLive (https://goo.gl/lmyEHm ) in a phone call from the Multnomah County Detention Center on Monday that it was their duty to stand.
"We did it peacefully," Bundy said. "We did it legally, and the jury's verdicts confirmed that."
Bundy said the trial ended in "another example of the government not following the law" when U.S. marshals arrested his attorney for challenging the judge's order to keep him in custody.
Bundy remains in jail because he still faces charges in the 2014 standoff at his father's Nevada ranch. Bundy said he expects he and brother Ryan Bundy will be moved to Nevada on Tuesday morning.
He said he wasn't allowed any contact with his brother on Halloween, Ryan Bundy's 44th birthday.
"It's par for the course," he said.
Bundy, 41, of Emmett, Idaho, testified that he proposed the armed takeover to draw attention to the case of two Oregon ranchers that he believes were unjustly imprisoned for setting fire to public land and to protest federal mismanagement of vast tracts of lands in the West.
He called for prosecutors to drop charges against other occupiers set for February trial on the same conspiracy charge.
Prosecutors have not said whether they will drop charges against the remaining defendants. Eleven people previously pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge.
"There was no conspiracy," Bundy said. "It would be a waste of court time and resources."
Information from: The Oregonian/OregonLive, http://www.oregonlive.com
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.