Politico’s Dylan Byers reports that the Newt Gingrich campaign has acknowledged Gingrich wasn’t telling the truth last week when he claimed at top of the CNN debate in South Carolina that his campaign offered “witnesses to ABC News in his defense…to rebut the network’s interview with his second wife, Marianne Gingrich.”
“Tonight, after persistent questioning by our staff, the Gingrich campaign concedes now Speaker Gingrich was wrong — both in his debate answer, and in our interview yesterday,” King said on [Wednesday’s] edition of John King USA. “Gingrich spokesman R.C. Hammond says the only people the Gingrich campaign offered to ABC were his two daughters from his first marriage.”
Gingrich was widely seen to have won the debate with his opening assault on debate moderator John King’s question about the Marianne Gingrich interview, in which Gingrich’s second wife claimed he asked her to have an open marriage.