The circle is pretty much complete at the Justice Department with Gonzales' resignation today. Here's a rundown of the numerous resignations over the past several months connected to the U.S. attorney firings scandal.
1) Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, today.
2) Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty announced
his resignation May 14th.
3) Acting Associate Attorney General William Mercer (the Department's #3) announced
that he was withdrawing his nomination for the position June 22nd.
4) Kyle Sampson, Gonzales' chief of staff, resigned
5) Department White House liaison Monica Goodling resigned
6) Michael Elston, McNulty's chief of staff, resigned
7) Executive Director of the Executive Office of United States Attorneys Michael Battle, announced
his resignation in mid-February.
8) Bradley Schlozman, an attorney in the Counsel to the Director staff at the Executive Office for United States Attorneys, formerly the U.S. attorney for Kansas City and a former acting assistant attorney for the Civil Rights Division, resigned
And, finally, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division Wan Kim was another notable resignation (on August 23rd
), although Kim's troubles were unrelated to the firings scandal.