A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been identified by authorities after analyzing video footage, CNN's John King reported on air Wednesday. Meanwhile, the Boston Globe reported that authorities have an image showing a suspect, but the report stopped short of saying the person's identity had been established.
King said he's been told by authorities that video footage from the Lord and Taylor department store and from a local Boston television station has led investigators to believe that they have "clearly identified" the individual who placed one of the explosive devices at the site of the second explosion. The department store on Boylston Street is located near the site of the second explosion.
King was hesitant to elaborate on a description of the suspect. It was unclear if a suspect was in custody.
Gov. Deval Patrick (D-MA) and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino (D) have both been briefed on the situation. King quoted sources who called the development a "game changer."
A separate report by the Boston Globe indicated that authorities have an image showing a suspect "carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene on Boylston Street." The Globe quoted a source who said authorities are "very close" in the investigation.