McCain: Jay Carney’s Benghazi Memo Denial An ‘All-Time Low’ (VIDEO)

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) said Monday that White House spokesman Jay Carney hit an “all-time low” when he denied that a newly surfaced memo was explicitly related to the Benghazi attacks.

“He has destroyed his own reputation by that statement, that what clearly was the talking points which had nothing to do but Benghazi, saying it had nothing to do with Benghazi,” McCain said on Fox News’ “On The Record with Greta Van Susteren.”

“That to me is an all-time low for a presidential spokesperson,” he added.

Critics of the Obama administration’s handling of the 2012 attacks in Libya believe that a newly surfaced email, which laid out talking points for then-U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Susan Rice’s appearances on Sunday news programs, proves the administration sought to mislead the public. Carney denied last week that the memo was about Benghazi and instead argued the talking points reflected concern for protests outside of embassy facilities throughout the region.

McCain said that he had known Carney for years and thought him to be a “pretty straightforward journalist.”

“They are scared to death,” he said of Obama administration officials’ reaction to the formation of a select committee to investigate the attacks.

“And if Democrats refuse to take part in this commission, this committee, and more information comes out, they’re the ones that will have egg on their faces,” he added.

Watch below at the 2:00 mark, courtesy of Fox News;

h/t The Hill

Image via Fox News

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at catherine@talkingpointsmemo.com.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK