A defiant Hillary Clinton said in an interview that aired Monday night that criticism of her handling of the attacks in Benghazi, Libya gives her “more of a reason” to run for president in 2016.
“Actually, it’s more of a reason to run, because I do not believe our great country should be playing minor league ball. We ought to be in the majors,” Clinton told ABC News’ Diane Sawyer. “I view this as really apart from — even a diversion from — the hard work that the Congress should be doing about the problems facing our country and the world.”
Clinton has yet to decide whether or not to launch a presidential bid, however. She sat down with Sawyer to promote her new memoir “Hard Choices,” which deals in part with the Benghazi attacks that occurred under her watch as secretary of state.
Clinton declined to tell Sawyer whether or not she would testify before a GOP-led House Select Committee on Benghazi if called to do so later this year.
“We’ll see what they decide to do, how they conduct themselves,” she said. “But what I do not appreciate is politicizing this at the expense of four dead Americans. That’s not what we used to do in this country.”
Clinton said that she ultimately takes responsibility for the 2012 attacks but did not tell Sawyer what she would have done differently to prevent them from happening.
“Well, I certainly would give anything on earth if this had not happened,” Clinton said. “And I certainly would wish that we had made some of the changes that came to our attention to make as a result of the investigation. But I also am clear in my own mind that we had a system and that system, of course, ended with me.”
“I take responsibility, but I was not making security decisions,” she added.
Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.