DHS: No ‘Specific Credible Threat’ To Other Public Venues In US

A police officer takes cover behind a truck at the scene of a shooting near the Mandalay Bay resort and casino on the Las Vegas Strip, Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
John Locher/AP

The Department of Homeland Security said it has “no information to indicate a specific credible threat involving other public venues in the country” following a deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas that left at least 50 dead and hundreds injured.

“At this time, we have no information to indicate a specific credible threat involving other public venues in the country. However, increased security in and around public places and events may be experienced as officials take additional precautions,” the department said in a statement.

Read the full DHS statement below:

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke has been briefed on the horrific shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada last night. The Department is closely monitoring the situation and working with our federal, state and local partners in responding to and investigating this tragedy.

At this time, we have no information to indicate a specific credible threat involving other public venues in the country. However, increased security in and around public places and events may be experienced as officials take additional precautions.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this incident as we work to support the Las Vegas community.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

David Taintor is a news editor at Talking Points Memo. Previously, he worked at NBC News and Adweek. He’s a native of Minnesota. Reach him at taintor@talkingpointsmemo.com.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK