Danzinger Bridge Ruling Prompts Former NOLA Mayor’s Attorney To File To Postpone Trial

AP

An attorney for former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin filed to postpone his client’s corruption trial indefinitely after a judge granted a new trial in the Danzinger Bridge shooting case this week, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt said in his Tuesday ruling that several government attorneys posted anonymous comments on the Times-Picayune’s website that “distorted” justice in the Danzinger Bridge case. Nagin’s attorney, Robert Jenkins, said in a filing Thursday that the same anonymous commenting by prosecutors on criminal matters is a concern in his client’s case, according to the newspaper.

Nagin was indicted by a federal grand jury in January on charges including bribery, money laundering and tax fraud. He pleaded not guilty in February.

This post has been updated.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at catherine@talkingpointsmemo.com.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK