Boston Federal Courthouse Back In Business After Threat

BOSTON — The federal courthouse in Boston was given the all clear on Wednesday afternoon after being evacuated because of an apparent bomb threat earlier in the day.

Court executive Gary Wente told repeaters that the courthouse was cleared and swept following some sort of bomb threat, but that there turned out to be “no basis for it.”

Earlier in the afternoon, loudspeakers in the building squawked “code red, code red” and told everyone to evacuate amid conflicting reports that a suspect in Monday’s marathon bombing was being taken there.

At about 4 p.m. ET, a man stepped out of the evacuated building and waved a large green flag. Staffers were then allowed to re-enter the building.

TPM’s Eric Lach contributed reporting from Boston.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Nick Martin is an associate editor at TPM in New York City. He came to the site in 2011 as a reporter for TPMMuckraker. Previously, he worked in Arizona, first as a staff reporter for a local newspaper and later as a freelance journalist. He also ran the news blog Heat City. Contact him at nick@talkingpointsmemo.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK