In it, but not of it. TPM DC
AMA SUPPORTS H.R. 3200, "America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009"
House Bill Expands Access to High-Quality, Affordable Health Care for Americans
WASHINGTON, DC - Today, the American Medical Association sent a letter to House leaders supporting H.R. 3200, "America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009."
"This legislation includes a broad range of provisions that are key to effective, comprehensive health system reform," said J. James Rohack, M.D., AMA president. "We urge the House committees of jurisdiction to pass the bill for consideration by the full House." H.R. 3200 includes provisions key to effective, comprehensive health reform, including:
- Coverage to all Americans through health insurance market reforms
- A choice of plans through a health insurance exchange
- An end to coverage denials based on pre-existing conditions
- Fundamental Medicare reform, including repeal of the flawed sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula
- Additional funding for primary care services, without reductions on specialty care
- Individual responsibility for health insurance, including premium assistance to those who need it
- Prevention and wellness initiatives to help keep Americans healthy
- Initiatives to address physician workforce concerns
"The status quo is unacceptable," Dr. Rohack said. "We support passage of H.R. 3200, and we look forward to additional constructive dialogue as the long process of passing a health reform bill continues. This is an important step, but one of many steps in the process. The AMA is actively engaged with Congress and the administration to achieve health reform that best meets the needs of patients and physicians. We are committed to passing health reform this year consistent with principles of pluralism, freedom of choice, freedom of practice, and universal access for patients."